Posts Tagged ‘landing strip

A mere mention of it is sure to bring about a teasing smile or an “ahem ahem” or a giggle if nothing else from your friends The power of a bikini wax! There are very few people you know who have got one. But the ones who have will only have nice things to say about it. The most common statement, as simple as it sounds, is “Oh! It feels so clean.”

A bikini wax is the removal of hair from the bikini line. This one comes in varieties too. There’s ‘American,’ ‘French’ and ‘Brazilian.’ American waxing and bikini waxing are pretty much synonymous and refer to hair removal below the navel and just above the thighs.

A French wax is one that involves a ‘landing strip’ that is left behind for effect. A Brazilian wax on the other hand refers to the total hair removal of pubic hair. It is also referred to as a thong wax or a playboy wax.

A bikini wax is like just any other wax where talc is dusted upon the skin before application of the wax. And a waxing strip is used to tug at the hair in a direction opposite to the hair growth. Stray hairs will be tweezed off.

If the above mentioned options are too sober for you, go in for other choices like getting a heart-shaped or a star-shaped design. Stencils with various shapes for bikini wax are available abroad. You could get anything from a star to an arrow or a lighting bolt or lips or a butterfly too. Dying the hair to another colour is possible. Crystal art is what some opt for too, apart from tattoos and body art.

Contrary to the scary images of pain that go through your head every time you picture a bikini wax, those who get it done regularly say that it is a matter of getting used to. PR professional Deeya M. got her first bikini wax out of curiosity. “I was really curious to know if it hurt — testing my pain threshold was one reason,” she says. “It hurt but not as much as I expected. The lady I went to was a pro and went about it quite clinically. The reason I tried it again was primarily because the first time was so easy. It made me feel sexier for some reason. I definitely plan to do it again,” she adds. Biotechnologist Priya K. vouches for the fact that it doesn’t hurt once you get used to it.

If you want to play it safe then take a pain reduction pill that your doctor has recommended about 30 minutes before a bikini wax. Always go to a salon that has been recommended by a friend. Pick a place that is hygienic and has well-trained professionals.

A bikini wax can cost you anything from Rs 350 to 700. “About 60 per cent of those that get them done are married women. The other 40 per cent are students,” says Tina S., Manager, Spratt. The beauticians at Mirrors and Within, Leela Galleria, agree.

There is an important tip that you need to keep in mind before getting bikini wax. Don’t snip hair before going in for a waxing session. A lot of women feel that it will be easier with the waxing process, or feel compelled to do so out of embarrassment. But it is best if you leave the hair growth the way it is.

“If the hair is shorter, then it becomes tougher to wax it off,” says beautician Lun of Chrysolite.

Those that have got bikini waxes are addicted to it. That may be a good reason for you to give it a try, fears and prejudices thrown aside.


June 2020

Blog Stats

  • 323,172 hits